Sunday, February 05, 2006

Alpaca Heaven

DH and I ran away from home yesterday. Thank goodness their grandmother loves to stay overnight! We decided to take a side trip on the way to the lake and I am so glad we did!
Evelyn and Peter own 30 acres of beautiful farm land in the foothills of Frewsburg, NY. YB Normal Farms is the happy home of several Grand and Reserve Champion Alpaca. Take a look at Killer Joe and a few of his buddies. Isn't he handsome! That boy has a coat density that I never believed possible.
They run a wonderful shop at the farm. Beautiful imported hand knit products ranging from scarfs to sweaters, and wonderful coats and vests that are beyond belief. But being a knitter and spinner, you know what I was looking for!
I wish you could feel this! This is by far the softest fiber I have every touched. I cannot wait to start spinning! It did not look like much in the bag, but once out it fluffed to huge amounts.
But I truly do not know what was nicer: finding a great fiber source or meeting wonderful people. DH and I received a tour of the barns, met all of the animals, and learned a ton about the animals. What a great way to spend a windy, wet Saturday afternoon. Don't you love it when you meet great people?
And if you are in the Chautauqua area, and can't make it to Frewsburg, may I make another suggestion? In addition to YB, you can visit several other area businesses under one roof at The Cross Roads Market outside of Westfield.

No, I do not work for the Chamber of Commerce!


No comments: