Friday, February 29, 2008

Desert Island Reading

Mags says do this:

  • Freckles by Gene Stratton Porter
  • To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Now I am torn...these first three were easy. Freckles was a story that I read and re-read as a young teen. That and A Girl from the Limberlost were two books that created a world that I could enter so easily. I have not read them in years, and do fear they may not hold the same appeal. At this time I was also fascinated with the works of Myrtle Reed.

To Kill a Mockingbird was my first taste of southern literature. Each and every time I read it, I walk down those dusty streets of Maycomb. And the structure of the piece! Read that and Fried Green Tomatoes and I crave greens, corn bread, and pot liquor...and salt on my watermelon!

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was read during a week off. I remember vividly not wanting it to end - reading slower and slower to delay the inevitable.

Sorry, Mags, fear of commitment makes me stop my list here.

Yet, these are the books that I would then choose the last two from....maybe....

  • Atonement
  • The Namesake
  • Jane Eyre
  • Song of Solomon
  • The Pilot's Wife
  • The World According to Garp
  • My Antonia
  • Harry Potter: The Sorcerer's Stone

No comments: