Saturday, November 15, 2008

Far Be It From Me...

Truly, I hate to contradict another's opinion of a book. But seriously, The Truth Teller by Angela Hunt is hardly the 'suspenseful page turner' that one reviewer claimed. This was a book full of potential. Seriously, modifying the sperm of a dead husband with the DNA of the Iceman is a cool (no pun intended) premise. A rich businessman, a corrupt research scientist, a grief stricken widow...could you honestly have better bones for a plot?

Yeah. Well, add the subversive Christian message and it somehow falls flat. Honestly, I am a spiritual person. And I do not wish to insult those of faith. I just cannot and will not accept the fact that God plays chess with each of us. I will leave it at that. Yet, I do understand that many people believe that each and every aspect of their lives is part of a greater plan. What I cannot understand is someone telling me that there is only one way to reach God. Using a five year old character to push a religious agenda does not work for me. In fact, it made me rather angry.

Let me leave you with a better book selection. Right now I am reading Loving Frank. Which is where I am headed right now with a cup of steaming tea. Mamah Borthwick Cheney, you and I my dear, would have been the best of friends.

No comments: