Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Crying Wolf?

Based the the recent news I have decided that it is best to not become mentally ill and then require physical care. It may also be wise to avoid Hartford, CT. Are we, as a nation, truly becoming desensitized to the world around us?

Check out my bookshelf. I just finished reading Five Skies by Ron Carlson. Three men, all hurting, all at different stages of their lives, bond during a small construction project on a remote section of a ranch in Idaho. One reviewer described it as a "thinking man's novel" and I would agree. The syntax is not "New York Times Bestseller", the characters are round and all experience growth, and the setting and plot are perfectly intertwined. Pick this one up. Who knew men with hammers and big machines were so multi-dimensional;)?

1 comment:

knitica said...

Sounds good. I just added Five Skies to my wish list at audible.com