Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Oooo, That Smell

Just a quick update on my "Eat Local Challenge". Today I made my Aunt Marie's chili sauce. Tomatoes and peppers from Dad's garden, hot peppers and onions from the local produce stand. I only made a half batch, but it smelled as yummy as a full batch! Want the recipe?

  • 35 large tomatoes, peeled (I never bother)
  • 8 large onions
  • 4 hot peppers, 1 with seeds (use more if you like a bit more kick)
  • 4 green or red sweet peppers

Grind the above ( I use the food processor) and place in a large pot. Add:

  • 2 cups vinegar
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, dry mustard, and paprika
  • 2 teaspoons ground dry ginger

Simmer for 4-5 hours. My mom always canned it from there...me? I just throw it in the freezer. Great on scrambled eggs and meats!

No comments: