Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Summer Count Down

I have been a bad blogger... did ya miss me?





Today I froze a bunch of these. Home grown and very yummy. And just like Pocket Farm Liz, I also like to keep the pointy end on.




Then I found an old recipe torn out of Southern Living Magazine and used these little gems from my friend's garden... ok, not exactly these...I never took their picture before they became an ingredient in the squash casserole. In addition to the squash, we had homegrown "musk melon", blueberries, and tomatoes. I love August simply for the tomatoes!

Last night I put up about 10 more cups of blueberry preserves. I am so addicted to the preserve concept. No need to add pectin and a ton less sugar.

Tonight my book club met. I cannot say that I loved the book. In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez is the fictional account of the Mirabel sisters. These women were rebels in Dominica during the early 1960s against the Trujillo regime. I think I need to re-read the book, as another club member did, and focus on one of the sisters at a time. Generally, I have no problem when a story "hops" around, but there were a number of issues that made this one difficult for me.

Daughter E's socks were finished in time for camp. She was given direct orders not to lend them, wear them outside without shoes, or leave them behind. She insisted on taking them because they were pink. Go figure...

I also finished another scarf. Move over Alison! This is a horse shoe or double cable made from Lopi that was purchased at the Buffalo Knitting Guild's annual auction. I may post a photo later, but it seems like too much of a hassle to stage the shot for another scarf; boy am I lazy.

Still working on busting that stash, I found two skeins of royal blue Lamb's Pride Bulky. I knit up a Booga Bag over the weekend. Rather than use a bag closure, I plan on turning it into a back back. And to jazz it up I have visions of needle felting some very colorful '60ish flowers on the front. Sound good? I better make it cool, because when I realized I was one skein short I snuck into E's closet and grabbed her unfinished bag and cannibalized it for mine. Yea, I know, I am a rotten mom.

Tomorrow night it is off to one of our LYS for another evening of fiber fun. Just imagine a room full of wool junkies ... I love it! Last week there must have been four wheels, as many drop spindles, my friend's loom, and tons of needles.

But right now I am crabby because I have to go to work tomorrow. I keep thinking of Sharon and her "endless" summer vacation. I am so NOT wishing my life away, but I am a tad envious. But there are still three full weeks of summer vacation to savor, so I better get out there and enjoy it!

No comments: