Sunday, February 27, 2005

Bad Knitting Karma, Bad...bad...bad...

This weeks has been a total flop! What is the number one rule when working with hand dyed yarns? NEVER knit from one skein at a time. Everyone knows that. I know that. So why, WHY did I not do that. I picked up my second skein, knit away for two nights and you know what I saw don't you? And that was under my night to bright bedside table lamp. Needless to say the frog pond is now full of blue waves :-(

Next, we move on to hubbie's lovely cable sweater. I finally picked it up this morning after a full week's absence. I finished the first pattern repeat, held it up, and thought it was looking a bit large. Mind you DH and I are no longer at our "wedding weight", but he really does not need the thing to be a flipping 2" larger around. And I certainly do not need to knit an extra 2 inches x the 48 inches of length front and back. I think that is 164 rows x an extra 8? stitches per row = 1312 extra stitches! And DH had the nerve to say no big deal. Geez!

What is causing this Karma drain. Hmmm...could it be more of my impulsive behavior? I have been on the lookout for an affordable (cheap) spinning wheel. Looking through the local "Bee", I see one listed in the under $100 column. I squeal, I jump for joy, I grab the phone, I go to the house, I buy, I take it home. I cannot believe my stupidity. The wheel belonged to the seller's mother who used it as long as the seller could remember. She believes it was a hand me down from one of mom's relatives. Looking at the condition of the wheel itself, I would agree. It is so worn, I cannot fashion a way for the drive belt to stay on the wheel. Oh, and did I mention it appears to be slighly warped? Kiss. Of. Death. And in my haste, do you think I even noticed that it was missing the flyer and bobbins. It does have a quill spindle. Whoopee :-( Can I sell it and get my money back? Please?

So here is my only good news of the week. I decided the heck with it. I work, I buy my children clothes at all the name brand stores, I can afford a wheel. So that is exactly what I did. I marched myself over to my local fiber shop and ordered a double treadle Lendrum. It will be here in five months just in time for my birthday.

End of story.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Congrats on your wheel purchase. It's too bad you have to wait so long. I hope you have a spindle to use in the meantime.