Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Mellow Memorial Monday

I finished this one over the weekend. I have had Little Bee on order at the library for quite some time now. There were two very good marketing ploys that made me bite: the publisher refuses to tell you what the story is about and that it would be the new book club "must read".

There is no reason to "not tell" so I shall. Little Bee is a 16 year old Nigerian orphan. Because of or in spite of the interference of a wealthy, clueless, professional couple on the beach, she and her sister experience untold sufferings at the hands of the soldiers. If Sarah and Andrew had stayed behind the compound walls as they had been told, or better yet in London where they really belonged, this story would not be told. Really, there would be no story at all. It is worth the time, but I promise - it will not leave you feeling better.


Yesterday I re-read Patty Jane's House of Curl. The problem was that I was not certain I had previously read this until I was about tow hours in; as I had less than that to go, I plugged on. Need a totally mindless read full of Steel Magnolia overtones? Help yourself. I am bringing it to knitting tomorrow night.

No comments: