Friday, April 29, 2005

It's Called a Mental Health Day!

I am a teacher. I will be the first to admit that there is absolutely no reason for me to have access to 15 sick days during a 187 day calendar. Now that my children are in middle school, I seldom use a day. But today I needed one. Ready for the rationalization?

  1. The sun is shining and we are due for a three day rain fest.
  2. My children's district had a "Staff Development Day". The idea of leaving them alone with the 16 year old again was too much for everyone to bear.
  3. I actually got a 9:00 am hair appointment.
  4. I have a student teacher who is doing a fine job, and I just could NOT stand the thought of sitting in my chair trying to find things to do while she taught all day. Again.

Results: happy children, a mommy without "roots", one pampered dog, a real dinner in the oven...LIFE IS GOOD!

Every once in a while I go on a young adult fiction bender. I am constantly looking for books to supplement my classroom library. I have a particularly hard time finding quality fiction for the boys. You know the kind? The ones who brag that they have never met a book they liked? They are my challenge.

Today I read Swords for Hire by Will Allen. Not a great book, but certainly one with high appeal for boys in grades 5 -8. Just enough adventure, a sword fight or two, some good guys, some bad guys, and one very innocent kiss. Not a hard read, even for the reluctant reader. What makes this story appealing for me is how it came to be. Will Allen wrote this book as a Christmas gift for siblings before his untimely death. He was a lifelong friend of Nancy Cartwright, the voice of Bart Simpson. The book was later published by Allen's brother. And that I love. A brother and a friend, ensuring their loved one's talent can be shared by others.

No comments: